How to make Blueberry Lemon Muffins:
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Preparation Time : 15 Minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
Ingredients for Blueberry Lemon Muffins:
375g unbleached plain flour , 165g granulated sugar (white or light brown) plus more for sprinkling on top of the muffins, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp fine salt, Freshly grated nutmeg, 120g unsalted butter, 250ml whole milk, 2 large eggs at room temperature , 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest , ½ tsp pure vanilla essence, 180g fresh blueberries rinsed and dried
Directions for Blueberry Lemon Muffins:
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas Mark 7. Line a 12-muffin tin with muffin cake cases and set aside.
2) Whisk the flour sugar baking powder salt and nutmeg together in a medium bowl; set aside.
3) Put the butter in a microwaveable-safe dish or measuring cup. Cover with cling film and microwave until melted about 30 seconds. (Alternatively melt the butter in a saucepan.) Whisk the milk eggs lemon zest and vanilla with the butter.
4) Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well and then stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are moistened but still lumpy. Do not over-mix the batter or your muffins will be dense. Gently stir in the blueberries. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle the tops generously with sugar.
5) Put the Blueberry Lemon Muffins in the oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Bake until golden brown about 25 minutes rotating the pan halfway through the cooking. (Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin to check if it is done. Toothpick should come out clean).
6) Cool muffins in the pan on a rack for a couple minutes. Turn the muffins out of the pan and cool on the rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.